Embrace Recovery & Make Sober Friends in Western Washington.
Whether you’re new to substance misuse treatment or you’re a recovery veteran, you’ve probably experienced the challenge of finding drug- and alcohol-free recreation, social groups and hobbies. Since much of your time and money was once spent pursuing, using or recovering from the effects of chemicals, it’s easy to feel aimless—and maybe even bored—without alcohol and drugs as your constant companions.
As you carve out your new sober life, remember to avoid old haunts, destructive relationships and other triggers that could tempt you to drink or use. Find your clan of sober friends and supporting family members, and make it your mission to try a Western Washington meet-up group, sober activity or alcohol-free event each week. (If you can’t find a substance-free group that suits your needs, start one today!)
Many people have walked this journey successfully—and today’s recovery landscape is filled with support groups, 12-Step meetings, substance-free gatherings and recreational opportunities for men and women in addiction treatment. Here are a few of Western Washington’s sober events, recovery communities and alcohol-free activities for people of all ages, interests and life stages.
Substance-Free Seattle-Area Gatherings, Events & Leisure Activities
- Seattle Sober Social Gatherings Without Alcohol: With over 1600 members, this public Meetup Group is not a formal recovery group—but all gatherings are alcohol-free. Events and activities include barbecues and potlucks, game nights, hikes and outdoor activities, bowling and movie nights. All are welcome: Those who are new to recovery, those who never drink and those who drink occasionally. The sober group promotes “good clean fun” for men and women who don’t want alcohol to become an event focus.
- AA’s Western Washington Area 72: As part of the General Service Conference structure of Alcoholics Anonymous, Area 72 “covers the state of Washington west of the Cascade Mountains.” Area 72 meetings stretch across Western Washington and accommodate all schedules (5:30 am to midnight). Locations include Seattle, Anacortes, Bremerton, Issaquah, Bellevue, Renton, Tacoma and dozens of others towns and regions. Wherever you find yourself, help isn’t far away.
- Recovery Cafe Community: From yoga classes and creative groups to walking clubs, worship opportunities and community meals, Recovery Cafe hosts activities and events open to those “traumatized by homelessness, addiction and other mental health challenges who are coming to know ourselves as loved with gifts to share.” To learn more about Recovery Cafe, click here. For a schedule of Recovery Cafe events, click here.
- Clean and Sober Softball Association and Substance-Free Disk Golf Meetup: These Redmond and Seattle organizations provide drug- and alcohol-free environments where participants can enjoy fun, fellowship and sports competition.
- Outdoor activities: Meditating on natural beauty and enjoying the outdoors with friends can be a therapeutic experience for those in recovery, and Western Washington and Seattle are full of outdoor opportunities. Sober colleagues and individuals in all stages of recovery can enjoy alcohol- and drug-free recreation while benefiting from the power of nature and fresh air. Try adventures like these or search for a sober hiking Meetup in your area:
- One Step at a Time: OSAT is a unique organization that blends outdoor activities like hiking, climbing and biking with recovery. The group is comprised of an outdoor club and affiliated-but-separate AA group. OSAT exists to “provide a clean and sober environment for members of 12-Step recovery groups and their families and friends to participate in outdoor and social events in the spirit of recovery, conservation, ecology and stewardship.” Attend an OSAT club meeting or related AA meeting to learn more about the group or to become a member. The members-only section of the organization’s website has a current list of activities.
- Bellevue Botanical Garden: An beautiful place to learn about native ecosystems or explore rock gardens, restored woodlands and natural wetlands.
- Mercer Slough Nature Park Trails: This 320-acre wetland offers walking trails and a canoeing/kayaking area that runs the length of the park.
- Bike-Share Ride Adventures with LIME. LIME’s bike, electric bike and scooter-sharing program is a fun and affordable way for recovering men and women to explore Seattle using the city’s designated bike lanes.
- Seattle Aquarium. In addition to daily tours, the aquarium offers events that are fun and educational for individuals and groups. Divers’ shows, members’ nights-out and conservation workshops are among the facility’s programming opportunities. The aquarium also hosts a Beach Naturalist Program that trains local citizens to care for Puget Sound beaches and wildlife.
Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers Are on Your Side
If you are still in the fragile beginnings of sobriety (or you have a loved one who needs help for chemical dependency), call the addiction professionals at Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers. Our reputable residential treatment program and outpatient centers across Western Washington are some of the best treatment options in the Pacific Northwest.
When you make a decision for sobriety, the Lakeside-Milam team will educate you about the disease of addiction and help you embark on a path to healing and wholeness. Start now: Call our admissions staff to verify insurance, request an intervention or inquire about alumni activities in the Seattle area and across Western Washington. Dial 800.231.4303 or email us confidentially: email@example.com.