Under The Influence
A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism
Dr. James R. Milam and Katherine Ketcham
“The most important breakthrough in alcoholism since the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous in 1935.” –Ron Fagan, Founder & Director, Cedar Hills Alcoholism Treatment Center
Some Facts About Alcoholism
- Alcoholism is our #1 public health problem—and getting worse.
- Alcoholism is a physical addiction—not the symptom of a psychological problem.
- Alcoholism cannot be cured, and recovered alcoholics can never safely return to drinking.
- Nutritional therapy is a vital requirement for full recovery.
Ten million Americans suffer from alcoholism, yet most people still wrongly believe that alcoholism is a psychological or moral problem and that it can be cured by psychotherapy or sheer willpower. Based on groundbreaking scientific research, Under the Influence examines the physical factors that set alcoholics and non-alcoholics apart and suggests a bold, stigma-free way of understanding and treating the alcoholic. What you will learn from this book:
- How to tell if someone you know is an alcoholic
- The progressive stages of alcoholism
- How to get an alcoholic into treatment—and how to chose a treatment program
- Why frequently prescribed drugs can be dangerous—even fatal—for alcoholics .
- How to ensure a lasting recovery
from our secure server at no charge